Tailor-Made Solution for a Networking Problem
Our client was a North African company that provides telecommunication services to over 20mil customers in the region. One of the services they were offering was email hosting; however, they had run into a problem—they wanted to migrate over 3,000 email accounts in a second, while most commercially available algorithms allow for the migration of only 1-2 accounts per second, and 5-10 emails/second is considered to be difficult. With the help of API Hawk our client was able to meet that goal while simultaneously cutting the cost and streamlining the whole process of registering a new email address in their system. They reduced the manual work and offered their clients ease of customization and management through a branded customer portal.
###The Usual Solution
This problem is related not to the computing power available but to the redistribution and management of the tasks. Usually, a group of servers are responsible for the migration of the accounts, and each server migrates one email at a time, from start till end. While effective for the migration of a small number of emails, this method is time inefficient and does not utilize the full computing potential of the available network. The tasks are allocated “blindly” to the different computers in the network, without regard for the available computing power or the tasks currently being carried out. This results in delays and slow resolution times; it causes errors and requires human interference and constant surveillance. As a consequence, this increases the costs of the whole process and makes it impractical to decrease the time it takes to handle the task.
Before we set out to find a solution to a problem, here at API Hawk we first seek the its roots. With this client, the main issue at hand was the time it takes to handle the provisioning of newly registered email addresses. This is a logistics problem rather than a computing power one; it has to do with how tasks are allocated and which tasks take priority. To address this issue, we created a “multiserver”—a group of servers called “workers” with a Job Server hub that evaluates and allocates the tasks to the appropriate “worker” station. Unlike the usual solution in which each server is responsible for the resolution of one email address from start to end, with our solution each “worker” can be responsible for only a single part of the provisioning process. Simply put, this means that different computers simultaneously carry out different parts of the migration process which dramatically decreases the time it takes to complete the query.
###The Job Server
The role of the Job Server in our “multiserver” network is to evaluate, assess and allocate the tasks to different workers in the network. In order to do so effectively, the Job Server keeps track of the whole workflow, thus ensuring the proper execution of the process. This means that our Job Server knows which computer is responsible for which task at every given moment; it knows how far into the completion of the task each computer is, and it is immediately notified should a problem occur. In comparison, the usual Job Server in most commercially available methods is responsible only for the allocation of the tasks and does not keep track of the whole process.
###The Benefits of Our Solution
With ApiHawk, our client was able to achieve the goal of migrating 3,000 emails a second without increasing the manual labor involved in the task. Our solution allowed our client to cut back on costs and to provide their customers with an elegant and time-efficient tailor-made service.
- Tailor-made solution: our client didn’t have to pay for a package solution which would include unnecessary additional services that drive up the costs.
- Fully-automated process: with API Hawk you do not need constant surveillance. Our Job Server keeps track of the whole process, ensures its proper execution, increases the efficiency, and addresses issues accordingly without human interference.
- Flexible & Scalable service: our client, as well as their customers, are able to create a solution that fits their current needs without worrying about what they might need in the future. Our client wanted to migrate 3,000 emails per second, but if they wish to decrease or increase this number in the future, they could do so with ease.
- Easy-to-use: all operations are handled through an API customer portal with user-friendly graphic interface and your company logo at the top.
- Time-efficient: our client was able to outpace its competitors by decreasing the time for handling queries and offering their customers the most time-efficient service available in their region;
- Cost-efficient: our client was able to reduce the manual work and computing power required for carrying out the task, which in turn allowed them to cut down the cost of the migration process.